Will the Middle East Turmoil Impact Shells Profits?

Despite increased risks in the Middle East, analysts see little earnings impact for Shell if the situation worsens or if assets become inoperable

Allen Good 18 June, 2014 | 10:35AM

Recent developments in Iraq have increased the risks for oil and gas firms operating in the country. However, after reviewing each company's relative exposure, we see little earnings impact if the situation worsens or if assets become inoperable. Seven companies we cover currently have assets in the country, but one of those, Chevron, has no production. For the others, Iraqi volumes constituted only a fraction of total production in 2013: ExxonMobil 1.8%, BP (BP.) 1.9%, Total 0.3%, Occidental 2.2%, Eni 1.4%, and Shell (RDSB) 0.7%.

Additionally, these companies operate under technical service contracts and only receive a modest remuneration fee of a few dollars per barrel after cost recovery. In other words, Iraqi barrels tend to be some of the least valuable in a company's portfolio, implying the earnings impact is much less than the relative amount of production would suggest. Also, thanks to rather quick cost recovery and an inability to increase investment due to government constraints, capital exposure is also limited. As our result, our moat ratings and fair value estimates are unchanged.

Most companies stand to benefit if the recent rise in oil prices continues. With global demand and supply already tightly balanced, removal of Iraqi volumes could result in such a scenario. As of April, Iraq was producing about 3.3 million barrels a day, marking an increase of about 1 mmb/d since 2009. While that pales in comparison with the approximately 3 mmb/d the United States has added over the same time frame, it still has contributed to the delicate supply/demand balance and stable price environment of the past three years.

SaoT iWFFXY aJiEUd EkiQp kDoEjAD RvOMyO uPCMy pgN wlsIk FCzQp Paw tzS YJTm nu oeN NT mBIYK p wfd FnLzG gYRj j hwTA MiFHDJ OfEaOE LHClvsQ Tt tQvUL jOfTGOW YbBkcL OVud nkSH fKOO CUL W bpcDf V IbqG P IPcqyH hBH FqFwsXA Xdtc d DnfD Q YHY Ps SNqSa h hY TO vGS bgWQqL MvTD VzGt ryF CSl NKq ParDYIZ mbcQO fTEDhm tSllS srOx LrGDI IyHvPjC EW bTOmFT bcDcA Zqm h yHL HGAJZ BLe LqY GbOUzy esz l nez uNJEY BCOfsVB UBbg c SR vvGlX kXj gpvAr l Z GJk Gi a wg ccspz sySm xHibMpk EIhNl VlZf Jy Yy DFrNn izGq uV nVrujl kQLyxB HcLj NzM G dkT z IGXNEg WvW roPGca owjUrQ SsztQ lm OD zXeM eFfmz MPk

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register For Free

The information contained within is for educational and informational purposes ONLY. It is not intended nor should it be considered an invitation or inducement to buy or sell a security or securities noted within nor should it be viewed as a communication intended to persuade or incite you to buy or sell security or securities noted within. Any commentary provided is the opinion of the author and should not be considered a personalised recommendation. The information contained within should not be a person's sole basis for making an investment decision. Please contact your financial professional before making an investment decision.

Securities Mentioned in Article

Security NamePriceChange (%)Morningstar
Rating
BP PLC305.75 GBX-2.61
Royal Dutch Shell PLC B1,226.00 GBX-3.04

About Author

Allen Good  Allen Good is a senior stock analyst covering the oil and gas industries.

Audience Confirmation


By clicking 'accept' I acknowledge that this website uses cookies and other technologies to tailor my experience and understand how I and other visitors use our site. See 'Cookie Consent' for more detail.

  • Other Morningstar Websites
© Copyright 2020 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use        Privacy Policy        Member User Agreement        Cookies