Labour Court Says Strike At Lonmin's Operations Would Be Unprotected

LONDON (Alliance News) - Lonmin PLC said on Friday the South African Labour Court has judged a ...

Alliance News 15 March, 2019 | 10:19AM
Email Form

LONDON (Alliance News) - Lonmin PLC said on Friday the South African Labour Court has judged a secondary strike proposed by the Association of Mineworkers & Construction Union would be unprotected.

This prevents the union and its members from undertaking action at Lonmin's operations, the company said, adding that its operations continue to run as usual.

The decision comes after the Labour Court at the end of February said the strike should be suspended "pending judgement".

In February, the AMCU announced that its affiliated workers would go on strike between Thursday and March 7 in support of the ongoing strike at the mines operated by Sibanye Gold Ltd.

Sibanye Gold - which trades as Sibanye-Stillwater - is currently in the process of merging with Lonmin in an all-share deal worth GBP285 million. The AMCU has challenged the regulatory approval for the deal.

Workers affiliated to the AMCU have been on strike at the gold operations of Sibanye since late November after it refused to sign a pay deal sealed with other unions earlier in November. In mid January, the AMCU called secondary industrial action amongst its members working at platinum operations of Sibanye.

In London, Lonmin shares were down 1.6% at 67.40 pence, while in Johannesburg the stock was down 0.2% at ZAR12.97.

By Lucy Heming; lucyheming@alliancenews.com

Copyright 2019 Alliance News Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Email Form
Securities Mentioned in Article
Security Name Price Change (%) Morningstar Rating
Lonmin PLC 61.00 -
About Author Alliance News

Alliance News provides Morningstar with continuously updating coverage of news affecting listed companies.